Cooking on a budget often means serving the same thing repeatedly. But the next time you hear “meatloaf again?” just smile to yourself and wait for them to take that first bite. The apples in this delicious loaf add a surprising and welcome change. It serves 8 to 10 so there may be leftovers for sandwiches.
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 Tablespoons of unsalted butter
- 1 and ½ cups of oatmeal (or breadcrumbs)
- 2 cups of finely chopped apple (peeled & cored)
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1 Tablespoon of dried parsley
- ½ teaspoon of black pepper
- 1 and ½ teaspoons of salt
- ¼ teaspoon of allspice
- ¼ teaspoon of dried mustard (or 1 Tablespoon of prepared mustard)
- ¼ cup of ketchup
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a large bowl, combine all ingredients except onion. Sauté the onion in butter until soft and add to the other ingredients. Mix well and form into a loaf. If it’s a little soft, add more oatmeal or breadcrumbs. Place your loaf into a large, greased loaf pan and bake for 1 hour. Remove from the oven and let it rest 10 minutes before serving.