Chicken Kiev is basically a dish of stuffed chicken breast with numerous variations of stuffing. The name “Kiev” is there because the dish is very popular in Kiev, the capital of Ukraine. Down below is a simple recipe to make delicious Chicken Kiev stuffed with fresh asparagus and mozzarella cheese.
Prep Time : 15 minutes
Cook Time : 35 hours
Total Time : 50 minutes
Yield : 4
- 72 oz lean chicken breasts (4 pieces/ 18 oz each)
- 7.2 oz medium-sized asparagus stalks (12 pieces/ 0.6 oz each)
- 500 grams mozzarella cheese, slice into 4 slices
- 1 small lemon, zested
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder/ 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- The first thing that you have to do is preheating oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit or 218 degrees Celsius for 10 minutes.
- Prepare a clean cutting board. Place the chicken breasts on top the cutting board. Use a sharp knife, cut the breast lengthwise but not all the way through so that you make a sort of pocket on each chicken breast.
- In a small bowl, mix together 1 tablespoon of lemon zest, salt and freshly ground black pepper. Stuff the mixture evenly into each pocket on the chicken breast. Set them aside.
- Wash the asparagus stalks properly and then trim the edge. Stuff 3 asparagus stalks inside each pocket, followed by a slice of mozzarella cheese.
- Seal the pocket by fold it over so that the filling is enclosed properly inside the chicken breast.
- Make the seasoning: mix together olive oil, paprika powder, garlic powder (or minced garlic if you prefer), salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Using a brush, coat the outside of the chicken breast with the seasoning mixture. Make sure every inch of the breast is covered properly by the seasoning.
- Prepare a large skillet. The skillet should be oven safe. Put the skillet on a stove over medium-high heat. Drizzle 1 tablespoon olive oil on it and heat it up.
- Place the chicken on the heated skillet and sear for 4 minutes on each side. The outside of the breast should be golden brown.
- Remove the skillet from the stove and transfer it into the oven.
- Bake the chicken breasts in the oven for 20 minutes.
- After 20 minutes, check for the doneness. Chicken Kiev should be cooked through. Stick a meat thermometer to check the internal temperature of the breast. If it has reached 165 degrees Fahrenheit or 74 degrees Celsius, the dish is done.
- Serve the dish immediately.